Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Toys: the Space Wasters


The other night I walked into Stella's room to grab something and stepped on a toy that proceeded to light up and play some ridiculously loud and annoying jingle....which of course woke her up. Stella has several similar toys that don't even have off switches, so the slightest touch sends them into some sort of over-stimulating production of whistles, lights, and vibrations. I have been trying to avoid toys for my girls since Fia was a baby. After hand-me-downs, birthdays, and Christmas we have accumulated quite a few. I can't stand them. They take up too much space and the annoying noises drive me nuts. Nowadays, most toys have brightly colored shapes that dangle and move with various textures to stimulate your baby's sense of touch and vision. But just incase you didn't catch the initial blinding color intensity, these shapes also will light up with blinking or color-changing lights. The "best" toys also make some sort of noise. This is because they are installed with the most irritating baby giggle, phrase, or sound effect known to man. I can only compare it to when you are in your car and happen forget to strap your seat belt and your car starts reminding you with a high pitched "ding" every 3 seconds....enough to make any sane person go crazy. I can only hear "Hey Diddle Diddle, the Cat and the Fiddle! Tee-Hee-Hee-Gurgle-Ha-Ha!" so many times in one day. What especially bothers me is that both my girls will play with them for about 5 minutes and then move to something else. I honestly think it stresses them out because its impossible to focus on any one thing because there is always ten different things happening at once. Perhaps I am starting to sound like my father and his "When I was a boy..." stories. But I do have to say "When I was a little girl....I played with blocks, rubber band guns, and the dirt outside." So I guess all my complaining is to tell people to stop wasting their money on such toys. I am convinced that Stella only wants things that she knows she's not supposed to have....like our tv remotes. My girls always preferred wooden spoons, Altoid tins, and measuring cups. So save your money and let your kids play with these toys at their friends' houses.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online