Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tummy Trouble Update

Well I had an appointment with my GI doctor yesterday....here is an update

Colon
The results from my C-Diff (Clostridium difficile) test came back negative. He thought the c-diff was the bacteria responsible for the Pan/Ulcerative Colitis (UC). My colon biopsies also did not tell us much. He is leaning towards Chronic Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), not to be confused to Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome (IBS). The two main forms of IBD are Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. I do not have Crohn's. Crohn's can affect any part of the GI tract and UC is mostly restricted to the colon. Again, I still have follow up appointments so this might change. Chronic means that I will most likely always have it and have to manage it with medication when I have "flare ups." I am taking medication right now and hopefully it will send it to remission. If it does not, then the next step would be a higher dose med...which would then be a steroid. I hope that I do not graduate to the next class of meds.

Bile Duct/Liver Enzymes
My liver enzymes still remain high. We will continue to monitor them. If they do not go down, the next step will be a liver biopsy.

How I Feel
I had a bummer day yesterday with a unexpected root canal. I am feeling much better today and my headache is subsiding. I am finished with the antibiotic I was taking for a possible colitis cause. Now I am only on the IBD meds. I am slowly improving and remain positive about my GI issues. And my doctor gave me the OK to slowly introduce lactose back into my diet....so (slowly) bring on the cheese baby! If only I could keep my bad teeth in order.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online