Friday, October 24, 2008

Tummy Troubles

I thought I'd post a random update on my Tummy Troubles. I've had gastrointestinal (GI)problems that began at the end of February. It began with a clogged bile duct and has dominoed into a whirlwind of GI fun. Here is a quick run down
4 - ERCP Procedures (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
3 - Emergency Room Visits
1 - EGD Procedure (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy)
1 - Colonoscopy
1 - Gallbladder Removed
2 - Sets of X-Rays
1 - MRI
1 - Cat Scan
20 - Pokes (at least) in my arms for blood & IV's.
18 - Pounds I've lost in the last month
0 - Food Options for myself
I'll spare you the details of my symptoms as they are related to GI problems and more gross than fun. The good news is that I believe they figured out 1/2 of my GI problems. The most recent finding is that I have bad pancolitis (or ulcerative colitis). I am now on meds to hopefully help it go into remission. The other 1/2 of my problems still involve my clogged bile duct and high liver enzymes. For now, I am restricted from lactose, which happens to be in every food that is delightful and good. I am also restricted from foods high in fat because of my bile duct. So that leaves me to eat lots of dry toast. I meet with my Doctor on Tuesday and he will hopefully have more answers with biopsy and test results. I am not in any immediate pain, but obviously have trouble digesting food. I still have lots of be thankful for, so please don't think I'm looking for pity. I just thought I'd post an update.


3 comments:

LJFredricks said...

So sorry Rachel sounds like a pain in the ass. You are on my prayer list. I hope you let us know if there are any changes. BTW I LOVE the milky minutes commercials as well but everytime I see them I roll my eyes and look at my husband because he thinks they are dorky and I have issues with trying to be "cool". Thanks for being dorky with me.

michelle said...

Rachel, Thanks for keeping us updated! We will be praying for you! It has got to be frustrating but I am glad that they are making progress!

suee said...

Pati gave me this spot so I could continue to check on you. Prayers continue to be sent on your behalf.
I'd love to make dinner for the rest of the family sometime soon -- possibly after next week, because I'll be gone all next week.
Sue Edema

I agree about Brett Hume -- don't normally watch that channel but I thought perhaps he had a bad accident or stroke....find out, will you?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online