Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Liver Biopsy


I am scheduled to have a liver biopsy on Friday morning. I had no idea what this procedure entailed, so I googled it. So sorry if you already know about. This is more for me than for you. Its a outpatient procedure. A mild sedative will be given to me. After they clean area of the skin, a local anesthetic is used to numb the skin and tissue. Then a thin needle is inserted through the skin into and out of the liver. This takes only 1 or 2 seconds. A slender core of tissue is removed with the needle. The entire procedure from start to finish lasts only 15 to 20 minutes. I'll be kept at rest for several hours following the exam so they can check my heart rate and blood pressure. There is usually some temporary discomfort in the chest or shoulder. Activity is usually restricted for a day or so after the biopsy. Not bad. No major incisions, just a needle.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online