Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pet Peeve #17

The other day I was in the grocery store and there was a very cute little girl in front of us in the checkout line. I thought maybe she was about 2 or 3 so I asked "How old is your little girl?" The response was "Oh, about 27 1/2 months."

This response irritated me for a couple reasons. First, she shouldn't use the word "about" when she clearly had an exact answer for me. Second, this response forced me to do mental math to get an answer "Okay....so there are 12 months in a year....27 months.....that makes 2 years plus 3 months." This answer is only appropriate for following one of those books that gives detailed month-by-month information for the first 5 years of your child's life....if such a pathetic book exists.

Once your baby is a year....then answers given by rounding 1/2 years is close enough. Stella is 1 year old and will soon graduate into the "just over a year old" category. Similarly, Fia is 3 1/2 and will remain this age until she is about 1 month away from 4 years old....and then she will be "almost 4" or "nearly 4".

The same rules need be applied for new babies. Once your baby is over 8 weeks, then give your answer to this question in months because 42 weeks is useless information to me.

I think after my kids are 5, then I will eliminate the 1/2 year usage and only give round years. Perhaps I'll still use words such as nearly, almost, and barely.

Summary:
1. Don't force people to do all sorts of math to get an answer to a simple question.
2. Don't assume people people are that interested in the exact age of your child because most times they just want a general answer.

3 comments:

LJFredricks said...

I totally agree, although I find it helpful to keep my own age that way to keep people guessing. It also makes me popular at parties. I am 398 months old....Or so
I have a big shin dig planned for 400 months, i mean it only happens once right?

Momof4 said...

That lady was probably the kind who read books to the baby in utero and started her child on flashcards when she was 8 1/2 hours old. And feeds her only organic foods grown on Amish farms. Pass the hot dogs!

Anonymous said...

you are a dork and this made me laugh . . i can see the look on your face when she responded to you. . . 'Are you serious Clark?' hahahaha. - Megan

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online