Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Rach's GI Health

I have had a few people ask me about my gastrointestinal (GI) health & I realized that it has been awhile since I've posted an update. I have very little to report, which is a VERY good thing. A quick recap....my GI problems were broken down into two separate non-related issues.



1. Colon
Ulcerative colitis: bad inflammation & ulcers throughout my entire colon & random ulcers in my pharynx.

I seem to have the colitis problem under control with medication.....10 largish pills a day. I will be on this medication for an undetermined amount of time....but most likely years.

2. Liver:
Liver inflammation, high liver enzymes, & lots of bile duct problems.

I was getting my liver enzymes measured every month.....called a hepatic function panel. This "panel" evaluates 3 enzymes. I measure normal on 2 of them & high on only 1....the alkaline phosphatase. To give a reference, normal numbers range between 30-140. My latest January numbers were 650's. When I was in the hospital with bile duct problems, they were between 800-900.

Doctor's Orders
My GI doctor does not seem too concerned with the elevated alk/phos levels as I am not experiencing any immediate pain or discomfort. He would like me to get them measured again in April 2009. I will not argue & enjoy the time away from my GI doctor.

My Diet
I have gained a solid 8 pounds back from my rapid weight loss. I am happy to report that I can eat again, but I try to avoid too much dairy, red meat, & super high fat food.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online