Thursday, February 12, 2009

Michiganders

Whenever I refer to someone from another city or state, I always tack on some sort of ending. For example, someone from New York is always a New Yorker. Who decides these rules known endings? Why am I a Michigander? Why can't be a Michiganian? Sometimes I like to think that there are unwritten rules. For example cities & states that end with the vowel "a" such as Atlanta & California become Atlantans & Californians....but then what happens if you are from Tampa? Bummer. States like Texas completely lose the last letter & get a new one to make Texans. Someone please enlighten me because I want to be a Michiganite....way cooler.

3 comments:

baorao said...

You specifically can refer to yourself as Michiganian. From what I understand Michigander refers to people who live in Michigan, while Michiganian commonly refers to graduates of the University of Michigan.

by the way, blame Abraham Lincoln. He apparently coined the term.

It could be worse, we could be from Washington (Washingtonian).

sampstar said...

What are people from Indiana? Indianans? or just Indians? Wait, no, that's been used, let's just call them Hoosiers.

kasey said...

I was JUST thinking about this the other day! how strange!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online