Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chicago!

This past weekend Peter & I made a long overdue trip to Chicago to visit some of my best friends, Megan & her husband, Stephen. Megan & I met during my short years at Butler. Despite living in different cities, we remain close because our friendship does not require "maintenance." We will go for months without talking & always pick up right where we left off.

More exciting is that this was the first time I met their son, Calvin. Megan & I have decided that Calvin & Stella will marry & then we'll be the poster United Nations family. And no, they do not usually wear matching clothing.

Peter & I woke up at 5:30am on Saturday & were on the road by 6:00am to avoid traffic....it worked.....absolutely no traffic & a full day ahead of us! We began our day by walking down to a local bakery to get the most delicious rolls & pastries on earth. Everything that is fantastic & wonderful has been packed into these delightful treats. I wish the picture of this wedding cake did it justice.


Ham & Egg stuffed rolls?!? Soooo delicious!


Then we stopped at the neighborhood park.


Stella insists on doing the parts that require us to lift her


They live only a few blocks from the beach!! It was awesome. The weather was perfect. Calvin got extra sleepy at the beach because the sound of waves usually lull him to sleep on his sound machine.


Stella was very suspect of the sand & water between her toes. But Sofia was there for moral support & encouragement.


It didn't take her too long to decide that the beach & water are awesome.


She loved the waves!


In retrospect.....I think wearing bathing suits would have been better. I didn't think it was going to be so warm. :)


The waves kept washing away her letters.


Stella ate sand....then kept trying to get it out of her mouth with her sandy fingers.


I should have helped like a good mom.....but for some reason I found myself just laughing at her & taking pictures....I think Peter had it handled.


On Sunday, we borrowed Megan & Stephen's bus passes & headed to Lincoln Park Zoo because it was something fun to do & it's free!


Stella's favorite were the lions. She kept roaring.


And of course.....the city. Peter loves big buildings & big cities.


It was an exhausting few days. Stella is not a very good sleeper in strange places or in the car. This sums up how she felt on Sunday before we left.


We left Sunday evening & headed up to Muskegon to Peter's cottage on Lake Michigan.


Stella has only slept in the car a few times. Of course, she slept the whole way to Muskegon & then was wide awake till wee hours of the morning.


Thanks again Megan & Stephen! We had so much fun & can't wait till our next visit.

2 comments:

Momof4 said...

Looks like fun! Chicago is a wonderful city, but I'm still glad we're up 3-1 vs. the Blackhawks!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! We had such a good time. Glad you guys did too. - Megan

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online