Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Arrest Me Cart Police....I Dare You

The other day I stopped into a local grocery store to pick up a few items. I noticed a woman glaring at me & then she approached me.
  • "Ummm....you're really not supposed to put small children in the carts....it can be dangerous...see the sign?"


Let me preface this with the fact that I was already irritable because of some other random frustration that I have already forgotten .....anyways, my response....or retort...
  • "Oh yeah?!? What, are you the cart police? Are you gonna give me a ticket?!? Are you gonna report me? Yeah, I saw the sign, but I'm gonna risk it....I like to live on the edge. Maybe next time I'll bring a helmet."

I'm not sure what was more infuriating....the statement itself or the fact that she felt it was her duty to police a stupid sign created by lawyers. Whatever the reason....I am a little ashamed to admit that I was unable to hold my tongue & snapped at her. On the other hand, I am also ashamed that I didn't really let her have it.

I understand safety, but I think we've gone completely overboard with our kids & regulations. It's not like I put my child in this cart & walk away. I am surprised we aren't forced to wear helmets when we drive in our cars....that would be far safer than seat belts. Don't even get me started on the 8/80 car seat law....but that's another post for another day.

It was just so maddening. According to her....these are a few other activities that should most certainly be banned from her world.

Wheel barrel rides
This is my cousin....thumbs up for being a risk taker!


Riding double
Some of my best memories were riding double on a pink bike with a pink banana seat! Looks like this chick got shafted....as she was forced to ride on that metal rack thing.



Tubing....no explanation needed here.
Just tell me you've all played battle tube....it's awesome & dangerous.



Absolutely out of control!!!!
And I'm not talking about the hair.



Sledding
Although these particular people might have enough winter gear on to protect them during severe wipe out.


Rollerskating.
The kid in the middle is either devastated by his brother's lame mockery or giving an excellent demo of a true hiker's outdoor bathroom squat.


Chair lifts....sorry skiers.

Anything hammock related.


Wait....wait....I got it....either we all wear helmets everywhere or we all use these. Anyone game?


I'm certain that lady owns several of these.....


10 comments:

LJFredricks said...

Seriously?? SOmeone said something to you about that? Good grief. Those are the moments when something comes out of my mouth like great, you watch them if you know so much I just need to pick up a few things and the last time I did not put them in the cart, the 3rd one thought it was time to leave and walked out into the parking lot. I sure am glad YOU are here to keep my children safe.\
Some people grr.

Sandy Hop said...

I'm just proud of you for saying something period!!! Way to use the blog to rant, Rach- very productive use of therapy for our humorous entertainment!

I need the bubble, though. :) Colin is crazy.

michelle said...

Oh My Word! I can't believe the things that people feel at liberty to tell you! My kids are much safer when they are in the cart as I am much less tempted to run them down when they won't stop touching things and wandering off. :)
You are a good mother!

Anonymous said...

you were'nt wearing like a jesus freak t-shirt or anything like that right?? That would be irony. My response would have likely been to tell her that she really shouldn't have worn that outfit but no one bothered to put up a sign about that!

Chris Hayden

Laanykidsmom said...

I've had children fall out of grocery carts several times and I still let them ride illegally in carts. Without helmets. And I've never sued anyone. That lady would have fainted had she seen my 6 year old climb out of the front end of the cart this week and the whole cart flipped forward and landed on her. After she got done crying, she climbed back in. Oops, guess I didn't read the sign.

Sonja said...

For the last 5-6 years I've wondered when they are going to start wanting kids to wear protective everything on a daily basis.
Did you know that in school teachers were told not to use red for grading because it is too harsh a color?
What, next I'm not supposed to tell them they put down an incorrect answer?
Let me just say, when I was a TA assistant at NCSU I used red. A little red pen won't hurt anybody! We seemed to survive those times just fine!

baorao said...

Did it go down like one of the locker room scenes in Top Gun? Because thats how I imagined it:

Grocery Store Lady: You two really are cowboys.

Rachel: What's your problem, Grocery Store Lady?

Grocery Store Lady: You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you take a cart down the aisle, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.

Rachel: That's right! Grocery Store... Lady. I am dangerous.

Anonymous said...

I picture you pushing the cart down the aisle to that old song "bad to the bone". I'll alert John Walsh to make room on America's Most Wanted for you.

Sandy Hop said...

BTW, Rach...battle tube is awesome- and the more speed, the better. But we played it with separate tubes. Lots of fun with four tubes (w/ ropes) behind the boat!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear from Child Services....Yea!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online