Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ataxophobia

Ataxophobia: the fear of disorder or untidiness.

Okay, so I don't think I'm 100% ataxophobic....but I will admit to at least 80%. I must also mention that I was NOT always organized and tidy....seriously, just ask my mom. My room was never clean & I was the champion of the throw-random-items-into-closets-and-drawers cleaning method. I would have never dreamed of turning into the freak that I am today.

In high school, I started organizing my notebooks & folders. It made homework & studying a lot easier & less stressful. I went to college and my notebook organization graduated to new levels complete with color coding & labels....hmmm, organizing is fun!

Since I got married in 2001, we have lived in smaller apartments with little or no storage space. I started applying my schoolwork organization methods to my closet spaces. As our family grew....so did my quasi-OCD organization insanity. Since we moved into our house, all our items in storage at other people's houses made their way back to us. Translation: "Great! Now that you have a house....you can take back all your junk!"

Last April I gave my readers a small glimpse into the psychotic world that is Rachel Sheldon by revealing the contents of my diaper bag/purse. If you did not see it, then click here. After much debate.....I have decided to allow you to see my closet spaces & basement storage. Go ahead....open mockery is welcome & accepted. I am no longer ashamed.

Main Level Closet - the "Supply Closet"
Sofia can easily reach all her art supplies.
The shoe holder has all our winter mittens, hats, etc.
Winter items go back to storage & are replaced with summer stuff.



Top shelf



Right Side



Left Side



Basement Storage - Main Wall
Yes, I have a giant box filled with empty boxes...with the label "Empty Boxes"



Basement Storage - Back Room



Back Room - Left Side
Mostly college books & paperwork


Back Room - Right Side
Yes, all the clothing bins are labeled


Back Room- Far Wall
Sewing stuff & baby gift stuff



Toy Closet
I allow my girls to take out a few bins at a time.
If they want more, they must put away what they pulled out.
Is this tyrannical & make me a control freak mommy? Yes.
Does this keep my house clean & my sanity in check? Yes.



Upstairs Closets

Linen Closet & Bathroom Closet



Random Facts Pertaining to My Closet Spaces
1. Walmart has incredible back to school storage bin sales. This is when I buy them. I'm pretty sure I bought the smaller bins in packs of 5 for $3.

2. The wire racks are from Aldi. They occasionally get random items & crazy markdown prices. They had the wire 5-shelf units for $30....normally they go for $75-$150.

3. My husband got me a gift card to The Container Store for my birthday....it was easily one of my most favorite gifts....ever.

4. Garage Sales & Craigslist are also great places to find storage containers & organizational type of stuff. I have found fantastic deals on basic plastic containers & shelving units.

5. I love to buy in bulk...and with coupons. Now that I have the space, I feel like I have a mini-store in my basement....awesome.


So there it is. I'm really not crazy....just crazy about space usage. I feel like it's a giant Tetris game....which btw, I am the master player. (Megan G, please back me up on this one)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got you on the Tetris skills. . . but holy geez! I'm going to start calling you the container lady. I knew you were organized but this is like a glimpse into someone's diary! Very exciting. I bet you loose your mind when you come to our place! haha.

Megan G

Lesley said...

You. Are. Insane. How do you even have time for that? Ok, so I'm secretly jealous because I pretend to be organized and am sooooo not...completely messy over here.

Sandy Hop said...

I'm with Lesley- kind of secretly jealous...but um...that's pretty over.the.top. But, I will refrain from showing this post to Dave...he'll think he married the wrong woman. ;)

LJFredricks said...

Thats Crazy. Please bring your crazy over here and play tetris in my storage spaces. Poor Greg can never find anything.... Seriously are you for hire??

Erin said...

I absolutely love it. I can't say anymore. It's....like....heaven.

Jenilee said...

wow! that is amazing! ok - I love bins but none of my closets look quite that organized. :) good for you!!! :)

Joni said...

Amazing. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

I once read a book called Diary of a Mad Housewife, in which she would fantasize about being someone she called Tabitha Twitchet Danvers who had every closet looking like --- yours! You are amazing. Seriously you could hire yourself out. I want first dibs to hire you. My fear is that you would want to throw out all my stuff. But getting ready for taxes, I am ready to admit I need help. Mom

Julie said...

I am also jealously in awe. I'm so much happier when things are put in there place. I'd love to know what you do with all the mail and paperwork you save... that's the main thing that thwarts my organization.

Julie said...

oops. "their place." not "there place."

Launa said...

Wow! I am so impressed, jealous and inspired! I definitely need to tackle my pantry!!
Oh, and there are no new camera's in my future (mine's working fine...with good batteries!)... so if you get one you'll have to clue me in!!

Judy said...

Insane awesomeness!

Laanykidsmom said...

I am also jealous and a teensy bit scared. I was going to invite you over for a Hatter (when you're not pregnant of course) but I think your system would go into shock if you come in my house! But truth be told, deep down that's what I wish I could be like; I just think it's not in my genes.

Anonymous said...

I wish that I was that way. I like to cram stuff, then shut the closet door. I'm subcribing to Flylady online, but don't often listen to her daily encouragings for keeping my house clean. I'm still in her basic level of CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome), and guess what? I don't often have anyone over.

Aubrey Joy said...

What the what! I wish I had "ataxophobia!" sheesh! My closet, car and ... well everything are constantly yelling for my much needed attention. I need to hire you to come clean up my life. Ha, if we ever live in the same city maybe we should swap photos for organizing, ahhh, dreams, dreams, dreams....
-Aubrey

Ethan, Zach, and Emma's Mom said...

Come to my house. Now. Please. You have some work to do here. ;-)

Sarah Geelhoed said...

wow. you rock. I would never ever mock you for that. I wish my brain had even 5% of the capabilities yours has! any organization in this house is usually handed over to my husband bc i look at it and want to cry, or sometimes do. (Seriously, steve put everything in our kitchen after i stared at it for over in hour in complete scaredness.)
I would hire someone to help me if I woudn't be so embarrassed at the mess!
SO TRULY....your gift...Amazing to me.

melanie said...

I think I'm in love with your systems. Most people think I'm crazy organized, but obviously I still have some work to do.
It's nice to "meet" you. I was commented on Jenilee's blog @ The Goodwin Family and saw your comment, so I popped over.

Anonymous said...

Um...By being this organized, you spend almost zero time looking for anything...By not wasting time or energy looking for the junk you really don't need you have ample time/energy to pro-create (Congrats by the way)...Thank you Lisa for "pile" we have at home!

Greg F.

Rach said...

Hilarious Greg, a sincere LOL...precisely what we do with our "spare" time. Maybe I should come organize your storage for your anniversary.

LJFredricks said...

At this point, I think we're good. ;)

Anonymous said...

hihi

I guess over here in SG our public housing r much smaller in size than yrs. & I'm veri into organising much everything in my humble home.
I go to d extent of getting color co ordinated stuff. (e.g. bottles, pails, container, boxes, etc) & all labels muz b labelled & laminated.I simply love what I'm doing & feel so much happier staying in a neat home.
Glad I popped by yr blog & found someone like minded :D
Keep it up Rach!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I can't tell you the number of times I have fantasized about having storage shelves in the basement or somewhere stacked with labeled container upon labeled container! I will do this one day when I have a home of my own. It's fantastic and I commend you for implementing such organization.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online